Are you a creative thinker with excellent communication skills, keen to work in one of the world’s largest scientific organisations? The CERN Social Media Team is part of CERN’s Media and Digital Communications section in the Education, Communications and Outreach (ECO) group of the International Relations sector. The Media and Digital Communications section includes the social media team, the press office, the web team, and a digital editor.
We have a 12-month student position for a Junior Social Media Officer role.
Tasks & responsibilities include:
- Assist the CERN social media team with its activities;
- Contribute to writing and producing regular social media content (e.g. “Guess What It Is”, “Throwback Thursday”, and “Photo of the Week”) on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram;
- Contribute to content moderation during CERN “lives” on YouTube, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram;
- Contribute to the creation of digital communications kits around CERN flagship stories in the fields of physics, accelerators, technology transfer, international relations, and education.
- Writing science and technology social media posts from existing news items;
- Contribute to the evaluation and monitoring of CERN social media activities, including weekly, monthly, quarterly and project reports;
- Share resources and interact with other communication teams in the Media and Digital Communications section and the ECO group.
Required skills and background:
- Interest in science and technology;
- A STEM background would be an advantage, but it is not a requirement;
- A strong interest and motivation for social media, including channels beyond Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram;
- Some experience in communications and/or marketing related to science, technology, knowledge and technology transfer, preferably in a multicultural setting;
- Some experience with science and technology writing, especially for digital/social media platforms;
- Interest in the online video environment (e.g., creation of thumbnails, formats for different channels, file compressibility);
- Good communications and presentation skills;
- Must be proficient in English (at least C1); proficiency in French is also an advantage, but is not required;
- A team player;
- Having a valid drivers’ license would be an advantage.
In addition to your CV and the application form, your application can include examples of your own social media content on any channel, especially content related to science and technology.
- Learn more about CERN activities at the laboratory where the world-wide web was invented and the Higgs boson was discovered;
- Learn about the latest physics results at CERN, as well as advances related to engineering;
- Liaise and expand your network with experts in social media, science communicators, science, and technology within CERN’s 23 Member States, 10 Associate Member States, and globally.
This vacancy is within the Technical and Administrative Student Programme at CERN, within which students can spend a training period of 2 to 12 months during the course of their studies (Bachelor or Master). An extension of up to a maximum of 14 months may be given.
The expected start date is 1st January 2023.
If your studies are in a STEM-related field, please, apply to the Technical Student programme.
If your studies are in the field of Social Sciences or Administration, please, apply to the Administrative Student programme. You must be enrolled in full-time studies for the duration of the studentship.
Please, note in your application form that you are interested in the post of a Junior Social Media Officer in the IR Sector.