The education, communications and outreach group works to increase awareness of and foster support for CERN and its activities, and to promote the interaction of citizens with fundamental research.
To generate public engagement in science, to produce and distribute informational content, to foster community building and to build support for CERN and its mission.
The key audiences include governments and policy-makers, the high energy physics community, the CERN community, local communities, teachers and students, the general public.
The group covers several areas, namely strategic communications (including visual identity), internal communications, press and media relations, digital communications (web and social media), exhibitions (on-site and travelling), outreach events (on-site and in the local area), teacher and student programmes and education and outreach resource production.
We work with partners across the Lab and also within academia, education and industry in CERN’s Member States, Associate Member States and beyond.
Communications, education and outreach at CERN pass through several channels, encompassing a wide range of activities. These include:
- CERN core websites
- social media
- press releases and media visits for journalists from around the world
- the Bulletin, aimed at the CERN community
- the CERN Courier, aimed at the international high energy physics community
- programmes and activities for teachers and students
- visits to CERN Science Gateway and the Lab events for the general public, combining science, art and culture
- exhibitions, including a travelling offer
- engagemnent with local communities
- Arts AT CERN programme (including Open Days, TEDxCERN, Sparks!)
- Education programmes for teachers and students
- publications, including the Annual report, as mandated by the CERN Convention, and selected brochures aimed at key audiences
CERN Science Gateway, the laboratory’s new flagship education and outreach center, scheduled to open in 2023, will house immersive hands-on exhibitions, education laboratories and host events for publics of all ages, from around the world.